Sunday, November 3, 2013

Configuring a wireless bridge on Windows

I was recently at my girlfriend's place where a 3 year old D-Link gateway is being used. I've forever had some connectivity issues with this device but I can usually manage albeit a request resend here and there. Well my PS3 didn't want to connect at all through wireless so I thought I'd pass the traffic through my laptop!

Open a new command prompt as an Administrator and issue the following command:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=JustinLaptopAP key=12345678
This will create a new virtual interface on your machine.

Start the hosted network:
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
I had issues after a reboot that it wouldn't start; you'll have to go into Device Manager and find the Network Adapter and manually enable it.

Now open up Network and Sharing Centre and navigate to the Network Connections page (by clicking "Change adapter settings" on the left). Once there you'll see your new adapter (mine is "Local Area Connection* 14"), you'll notice it has a wireless signal icon.

Right-click your default wireless adapter and go to Properties>Sharing and check the box labeled "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection", selecting your newly created adapter from the drop-down menu.

And voila! You'll be able to see the SSID from all your devices and connect through it to the Internet.

You'll have to issue the start command whenever you reboot your computer, but that can be solved with a small batch file; if you're using it all the time I'd suggest just having it auto-run at start-up.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment